MERCOSUR has announced the approval of a Resolution which includes MERCOSUR Technical Regulation on Labeling of Textile Products and repeals the previous labeling law (GMC No. 33/07). MERCOSUR member countries include Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. This Resolution must be incorporated into the legal system of the MERCOSUR countries before June 15, 2019.By Bureau Veritas Technical Services 5 minute read
Following is an overview of the new Resolution. Please reference the Resolution for full details.
Mandatory labeling information for textile products to be sold in a MERCOSUR country:
A. Name or business name or trademark registered in the country of consumption, and tax identification of the national manufacturer or importer (or whoever imposes its exclusive trademark or company name, or who holds a license to use a trademark). NOTE: "Fiscal identification" is the tax records of the company, in accordance with the current legislation of the Mercosur States.
B. Country of origin, preceded by the words: "Hecho en" (Made in) or "Fabricado en" (Manufactured in) or “Industria” (Industry) followed by the name of the country of origin. Designations of economic blocks or by country flags are not acceptable.
C. Name of textile fibers or filaments with their content indicated as a percentage by mass. (The generic names of textile fibers and filaments are listed in Appendix A of the Technical Regulation.)
- Tolerances: For Pure product or fiber claim listing a single fiber (100%), a maximum tolerance of 2% is allowed for unavoidable contamination. For a blended material, (more than one component) a tolerance of 3% is allowed for each fiber separately. The tolerance is the difference between the claimed percentage and those determined by fiber analysis.
- When a fiber is present in less than 5%, the fiber may be indicated as "OTHER FIBER" or "OTHER FIBERS", immediately preceded by its percentage.
- Sectional disclosure should be used when labeling textile products which are composed of two or more parts with different contents.
- Supports, reinforcements, interlinings, binding and joining yarns, selvedges, labels, applications, trim, embroidered edges, buttons, pockets, shoulder pads, fillings, elastic, accessories and non-elastic tapes do not need to be included in the content label.
- Two or more textile products that are sold as a set and have the same content, may indicate the mandatory information on only one part of the set.
D. Care instructions.
- Care label must be in accordance with NM ISO 3758: 2013. It may be indicated by symbols or texts or both. The following processes must be included: washing, bleaching, drying, ironing and professional textile care, which must be informed in the sequence described.
- Care symbols should be in an imaginary square of at least 16 mm2 area, and be of equal prominence, easily legible and clearly visible. The additional symbols with St. Andrew’s Cross (X), which is used to indicate a process that cannot be used on the product, will not be taken into consideration in the size of the symbol (should not be part of the imaginary square).
E. Size or dimension, as appropriate for the product.
- The mandatory information may be indicated on labels, stamps, labels, stickers, stamps, stamped or similar and must be indelible and permanently fixed.
- The lettering used for the mandatory information, both on the product and in the packaging, must have equal prominence, must be easily legible, clearly visible and be indelible. Letter height must not be less than 2 mm.
- Labeling must be in the national language of the country of consumption, without prejudice to other languages which may also be included.
- Appendix A of the Resolution lists the “Designation and Description of Textile Fibers and Textile filaments.
- Appendix B of the Resolution lists the Products that are not Subject to Compliance with the Regulation”.
For Full details of the Regulation, including the Appendices, please reference the following:
For the best experience, please download one of our supported browsers:我们检测到您当前所使用的浏览器不受支持。您可以继续浏览该平台，但某些特征和功能可能无法正常运行。