There is a new European standard for the safety requirements and test methods for children’s sleep bags for use in a cot. This was published 24th August 2018.By Bureau Veritas Technical Services 3 minute read
The age has been specified more clearly as 0-24 months whereas previously it was over six months.
• A number of stipulations aligned with CEN/TR 16792 have been added with regards to mechanical hazards and design features. Reference is also made to BS EN 14682
• Neck opening to be measured under tension by new method with three age groups not two as guidelines.
• The use of chemical flame retardants is not recommended
Thermal Hazards (hypothermia and hyperthermia)
• The test method has been changed and the maximum allowed tog is 4.5
• Raised fabric tested for surface flash according to EN 1103
• Due to the increased use of down and recycled fibres, all fillings to be hygienic and tested to prove
• Clearer more detailed instructions to be given to the consumer
Please refer to the actual standard for the full and detailed requirements.